JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 223


Tuesday, 25 July 2017 08:27

Short Session Success

My brother and I recently planned to take a trip to Horseshoe Fishery but on arrival we were greeted with exactly what we were hoping not to, spawning fish.

We knew there was a chance of this but we were hoping they would not have started yet or would have finished, just our luck that they started on the day of our arrival. With fish safety in mind we left, bucking up our ideas we decided to see if we could steal a few bites off the top using the Nash Bread Bombs. Jamie and I put our heads together and decided the plan of attack was to hit up some urban little park lakes in Birmingham.After an hour in the car, travelling through some pretty dense traffic, we arrived at our first little park lake, then the second, then the third. Despite the conditions being perfect for surface fishing, there was no signs of fish. We were in a tricky situation now on whether to sit it out and see if we could make something happen or move to another lake to see if we could find some feeding fish. Fortunately for us, Jamie managed to locate a 40 year old park lake, overgrown and rundown but it screamed carp. Only four acres in size it didn’t take long to get a couple of laps in and that is when we spotted them. Bunched up in the corner, tucked away on the back of the sunshine in the shadows of the overhanging trees were a group of feeding carp, sucking at the scum on the surface. With no time to waste Jamie and I ran back to the car, grabbed the dwarfs, bread bombs and thick white bread to see if we could tempt a couple of the park lake carp to make the mistake and pay a visit to the bank. Straight away the fish responded to the bread, the Nash Bread Bombs making it so easy to flick the desired hookbaits to the feeding fish 20 yards away but we were initially unsuccessful. Losing a couple of fish caused the fish to push back out of reach but regular feeding in conjunction with a little bit of patience soon saw the carp work their way back towards the corner and they were back on the munch. My first bite came not long after the carp returned, a mint little ghosty which is the only one in the lake as far as Jamie and I know, slipped over the net for a quick meet and greet. An absolutely stunning fully scaled ghosty, not the biggest fish in the lake but it certainly was a special one. After all of the commotion of the ghosty, once again the carp pushed back out towards the middle of the lake. Jamie being Jamie, he shot back to the car to grab his mixers and started feeding with his spod rod. A few fish were feeding but they weren’t pacmaning it so we decided not to make any further attempts at another capture. With another park lake in mind and only a couple of miles down the road, we packed the rods up and jumped into the car. Similar to the last lake it was very overgrown but a little more popular with the public, it wasn’t long before we spotted the carp. Halfway round the lake there was a public area in which the birds on the water could be fed from; Jamie and I crept down slowly with the polaroids on, peering into the water looking for any signs of fish. The water had clouded up in areas, it was evident that there was lots of bread which had found its way through the water column to the lake bed and the carp were on the munch. Running back to the car, Jamie and I decided to go with a couple of different tactics; Jamie opted to for a standard led clip with a Nash Coconut Cream bottom bait attached to his rig and I opted for similar tactics as previous but with a larger hook, making the transition to a size 7 Nash Fang Twister armed with a Bread Bomb.

Luke Kennard bread bombs

By squeezing the bread down inside the Bread Bomb, I was able to create a slow sinking hook bait which proved irresistible to those feeding carp as I managed to tempt three more little park lake commons onto the bank. After the commotion of the three carp visiting the bank the carp became aware of what was happening and backed right off. In hope of the fish returning like previously, Jamie and I put some more free offerings in and decided to have a munch of our own whilst watching the water for any signs of fish revisiting the spots. An hour of waiting, sitting on our hands and a few fish had made their way back onto the spots. With our rods loaded Jamie and I decided to have one last cast. Both hooking fish this had the makings of a great ending to a successful trip after its disastrous start. Unfortunately for me, my fish managed to dislodge the hook and evade capture. The last fish of the day caught by Jamie, another park lake common and another absolute belter! With the rods packed up, it was time to get on the road and get back to Jamie’s place. After some hard graft it was time to get a good meal down us and take a look over some of the photos we had taken, as well as trying to identify some other potential waters. With an  stalking session on the cards for the following morning we decided to pack some small essentials and travel as light as possible. The alarm clock seemed as though it sounded immediately after shutting my eyes, it was time to try and make something happen again. This time Jamie and I headed for the canals, ready to flick a rod on anything we saw. After walking the canals for hours, we decided to stop and position the rods on a small section of overhanging trees, the only feature on the canal, surely this was a fish holding spot. With the bobbins remaining motionless, it was time to call it a day and get back on the road. For Jamie it was back to Birmingham and for myself it was back to South Wales to start our preparations for our next missions.

Luke Kennard





Grid view
List view
Buy your magazine locally:
Find a stockist HERE

Other titlesmf magfeedermatch livepf plusthink fishing